Wednesday, October 27, 2010

My Birthday Week!

I started off my birthday week (on Saturday (October 16) and Sunday) with a glorious trip to Green Island with Kailey, Karyn and Tricia! I went snorkeling for the first time. We watched a magnificent sunset! We went to one of only three saltwater hot springs in the world! We visited the Little Great Wall! I feared for my life a few times. I saw some of the most beautiful scenery I have ever seen, including the ocean, mountains, valleys, trees, waterfalls, and rocky shores! I learned a little more about Taiwanese history.

Green Island!

The sunset on Green Island!

On Wednesday, which was my actual birthday, I taught my classes like normal. It was lovely because my classes went well that day! My students were well-behaved and it was good!

After work on Wednesday, Karyn, Kailey, Liz, Amy and I went out to eat at this fabulous restaurant called the Spaghetti House! I don't remember what we got, but I liked it!

I received three birthday cakes on my birthday! This is me holding my third birthday cake :) I received a cake from two of my students in the morning, which the students and I ate together with two of the other teachers and one of the secretaries. I got a cake from the school, which I shared with my 5As. And my roommates made me one (the one in the picture), which we ate after dinner at the Spaghetti House! Let's just say I'm pretty positive that is the most cake I have ever received on my birthday before :)

On Friday night, I tie-dyed for the first time ever. Kailey's mom sent her a package with tie-dye stuff in it and we decided Friday night was a good night to do it! This is the before picture!

This is during the process. I had no idea that you put rubber bands on the shirts to make the shirt swirly :)

Putting on the dye!

The final result! It took some getting used to, but I really like how both of them turned out :)

On Saturday, Liz, Kailey, Karyn and I went to Taichung! Of course we had to go to Burger King to get whoppers. (Let's just say it's an inside joke about something I did not actually say :)

Whopper!

After Burger King, we tried finding the science museum. But alas we got on the right bus, but going the wrong way and by the time we realized that, we decided it wasn't worth it to go anymore. So we went to this Confucius Temple in Taichung and then we went shopping at the outdoor market. I didn't buy anything, but I enjoyed looking around!

Then after the market, I went to stake conference at the beautiful Taiping chapel! It was lovely! The choir sang "Faith in Every Footstep" in Chinese and I felt the Spirit so strongly as they sang! I love music!

This whole past week was lovely! I have been blessed with many good friends and my awesome family! I thank the Lord everyday for them and for the experiences I am able to have while I am here!

50 comments:

Lara said...

Okay. Here goes on the sixteen comments....

Lara said...

Your tie dye shirt turned out awesome!

Lara said...

And three cakes? Jealous!

Lara said...

I'm glad you have awesome roommates who take care of you and have fun too!

Lara said...

Your word verification filter is getting kind of annoying now.

President Obama said...

I know you didn't vote for me, but I just wanted to let you know that you're my favorite constituent born on 10/20.

Spencer said...

Come back to DC. I miss having an extra person to tease.

Reese Witherspoon said...

Hey! My long lost twin. Happy birthday! I miss seeing you around the good old USA!

Dad said...

Yo daughter! Have you found someone to marry yet?

Mom said...

Are you making sure you aren't using Qtips in the ear canal? I hear that ear doctors are hard to come by in Taiwan.

Ellie said...

I miss you so much that I started having seizures every time I think of you.

Lara said...

The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas...

Lara said...

But not as bright as the sparkles in your eyes.

Pete said...

I'm a tad concerned that Lara may not be taking this whole blogging thing seriously. I say we boycott her blog and leave her comments only once a month. We'll show her to go around leaving obnoxious comments.

Tim E said...

Lara should hire an editor before leaving comments. Sheesh!

Steve said...

27's a great age. It's when I finally broke the sound barrier with one of my toots.

Lara said...

And now here's your bonus comment for putting up with my obnoxiosity today. I hope you had a wonderful birthday! We miss you!

Congrats on winning a parcel of comments! Apparently you know me well.

Mr. Jones said...

I agree with Tim E. Sheesh!

Lara said...

Whoa, who's being rude "Mr. Jones"? I can dish out the teases and self-deprecating humor, but I definitely can't take it.

AnnaLise said...

All these comments are making my head spin. If I wasn't already sitting down I would have to go sit down for a while.

Lara said...

FYI---Mr. Jones is NOT me.

Matthew K said...

President Obama commented here?! I hereby boycott this blog for the rest of my life and for that matter I may have to wash my eyes out with soap just reading his filthy lies.

K said...

Damn, I hate tooting comments almost as much as I hate gall bladders and blood clots.

Aitch said...

I daresay, things are getting a little carried away here. I would never believe for two seconds that Matt would have taken that long to comment on a President Obama comment. Something fishy (or shall I say swishy) is going on here.

Kailey's Mom said...

I can't believe you defiled that tie dye kit like that. That was meant for tie dying your tablecloth and curtains, not some old t-shirts.

Van Gogh's Uncle said...

I just had a long chat with Mr. Jones, and he would like to assure everybody that his comment was entirely tongue in cheek and he apologizes for any offense it may have caused. He and I are both immensely enjoying these comments.

Glen said...

I'm just dying to tell the world that MY WIFE ROCKS MUY MUCH!

Lara said...

I want to hear more from Mr. Jones and Van Gogh's uncle....

Lara said...

By the way, I just have to say to Glen....I know, I know. It's just a gift.

Lara said...

Have I told you that humility has always been one of my strong points?

Lara said...

Lara
+
Glen
=
True Love
Forever

Lara said...

I'm having too much fun. Stopping now.

K said...

32 comments? I am so very jealous AL. I hope just for fun someone feels like leaving me that many comments on my next post!

Happy birthday AL. You are as cute as can be and I love you! Sorry my comment lacks humor like the rest of them.

K said...

Have I mentioned lately that you are the BEST?

K said...

You are!

K said...

I love you AnnaLisa!

K said...

I wish you were closer!

K said...

But I'm glad you are enjoying Taiwan!

K said...

And that you were spoiled on your birthday!

K said...

Which reminds me what do you want for Christmas sister?

K said...

I can send money or after you get home I can send a present.

K said...

Maybe you can visit me on your way home.

K said...

That would be a great present to me!

K said...

Anywho, you are the best and I hope you have a fantabulous day!

K said...

That's as many comments as my little brain can handle tonight. (o:

Van Gogh's Father said...

We've come this far - we probably oughta get the post count up to 50.

Lara said...

Has your life gotten boring over the last week?

Lara said...

I'm ready to for another vicarious adventure through my favorite 27-year-old sister.

Lara said...

Tell Mr. "Van Gogh's Father" that if he wants to push the comment total past 50, he's going to have to do it himself. Pshaw!

Van Gogh's Father said...

I'm totally bringing it up to 50! Yee-haw!