Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Cardiff- Day 7

My first field trip in the United Kingdom after we returned from Mallorca was Cardiff, Wales. I don't really have a lot to say about Cardiff except that I really liked it!

I had a couple of places in mind to go to in Cardiff and I just kind of wandered to find them and ran into some cool places along the way.


They still had a nativity up outside of the church.

I felt like every city I went to on my trip had a different personality. Cardiff definitely had its own personality. 

Cardiff Castle was one of the places on my list. I took a tour of the castle and we got to go inside of this tower. There's a sitting room in the tower and I loved how everything in there, the paintings on the wall and the stained glass window had meaning. Since this is the clock tower all of the significance of the paintings had to do with time, the months, days, hours. I liked it.

Inside of the walls surrounding the castle. We were not allowed to take pictures inside the castle, but just imagine the grandeur and the intricate details of paintings and decor of people with a lot of money long ago when it was built.

The castle has gone through many phases of construction and it's really old!

Read about The Keep below.


Inside of The Keep.

Inside The Keep from a different angle.


One of the views from the very top of The Keep.

It started raining pretty hard and got really windy as I was up at the top. 

But the views were still amazing!


It stopped raining.




Some of the variations the castle has gone through.

The entrance to the castle.

The Animal Wall just outside the castle walls designed by William Burges in the late 1800s.
.
Look at that bear's eyes.




I was trying to find the Llandaff Cathedral. I thought it was only a 20-minute walk from where I was, but it ended up being much longer and I never made it there. But it's okay I saw some pretty cool things along the way.

I eventually needed to turn around and go back toward the train station, but I didn't want to go back the way I came from. I looked at a map and it looked like there was a park running parallel to the street I had just come up on.

I went the way that I thought would take me back the way I came from. After I had walked a little bit, I ended up asking for directions, just to be sure. I'm glad I did because I had been walking the wrong way and they said if I had continued on that path I would have eventually made it to my destination (because it was a big loop), but it would have taken me over an hour.

This is me on the right path to the train station. It was a beautiful trail!

The River Taff!

Cardiff City Hall!

Look, it's TX Maxx...

A pink tabernacle

Cardiff Library

Cardiff was a lovely city and I'm glad I got to spend some time there!

1 comment:

Lara said...

So you were there exploring all by yourself? Fun! It looks like a beautiful place to visit!