Friday, December 14, 2012

Rest of Day 4- Golf Carts and the Glass Bottom Boat!

 We made it to San Pedro.

 I think I had beans at every meal.  They were good, but I sure did eat a lot of beans.  Also those scone type things were really good.  (I cannot remember what they're called, but they were yummy.)

 I was surprised and thought it was awesome that the main mode of motorized transportation for tourists and a lot of the local population were golf carts.

 We caved in and rented a golf cart.  It was good though since our hotel was quite a ways from the center of town, where all the action was.

On our way to the center of town.  Nate drove the whole time. 

Ok, so it's hard to see but if you make the picture bigger you can see how big that speed bump is.  They had speed bumps EVERYWHERE.  As soon as you got close to any town in Belize and Guatemala, they had speed bumps.  These weren't just ordinary speed bumps.  These were speed bumps where you must slow down to 5 mph otherwise you would hurt your car.

I must admit, that Nate might have driven over a few speed bumps a little too fast and I might have gotten some good air ;).  It was lovely.

Hammock time.  This was the beach at our hotel.  The hotel was lovely!  And the beach was pretty awesome!


So Nate and I went on a glass bottom boat tour.  And it was awesome!  If you don't like snorkeling or can't go for some reason, a glass bottom boat is the way to go and see the fishies and coral and stuff.  Just make sure you get a boat with a pretty big glass bottom.  Our boat was great! 

On our way out to Shark Alley and the coral reef. The coral there is apparently the second biggest reef in the world next to the Great Barrier Reef.   

It might be hard to tell, but the water was beautiful!

Me on the boat.

Shark Alley!  See all those sharky sharks.  They're nurse sharks.  So our boat driver/tour guide had some dead fish he would throw into the water and the sharks would swarm the place he threw the fish. Hence the congregation of the sharks. 

Our boat driver/tour guide. This is from Nate's camera.  I really liked this picture!  

This is not me nor anyone I knew, but I thought people were brave for swimming in this area and especially so close to the sharks.  I was not brave enough to get into the water here.  Actually I did not get in the water at all, but since the water was clear and we had the glass bottom, I felt ok about not getting in ;)

Our boat driver was baiting the birds with some pieces of the fish.

The fish our tour guide was using to feed to the sharks and birds.

 This is from Nate's camera too.

Although Nate was not able to capture it on camera, I did touch a couple of the sharks.  They felt rubbery and a little bumpy. 


The glass bottom part of the boat. 


So I thought this was interesting. All of the things on the bottom are conch shells.  Apparently it is a dumping ground for conch shells once they are done being used.  You are not allowed to take any, you can only dump them.


Nate checking out the fish from the glass bottom.  Like I already said, the glass bottom boat was awesome!  Thanks Nate for inviting me on this trip! 

1 comment:

Steve-Rosanna said...

Love the combo of the water, sun, and clouds. What a beautiful place. All in all, an amazing place to visit. Absolutely love the hammocks on the beach. My favorite pic is the cool self portrait of your feet pointing out to the ocean.

Thanks for sharing your awesome and fun holiday pix!

Love, Dad-Mom