Day 6
We woke up early again this morning to catch a train to Luxembourg, Luxembourg. The train ride from Antwerp to Luxembourg was a little over four hours with one transfer in Brussels, Belgium.
Antwerp central train station!Waiting for our train in Antwerp!
On the train!
Can I just say Belgium has some beautiful countryside?! The scenery on the train was lovely!
There was a town we passed by that looked so pretty from the train that I wrote the name of the town down to do research about it later and maybe visit on another trip. :) The town was Namur, Belgium.
We could not check into our hotel yet so we dropped our bags off at luggage storage at the hotel.
We bought baguettes at the train station and ate them on the way to Vianden Castle. The baguette was actually really good!
A fun fact about Luxembourg, all public transportation within the country of Luxembourg is free. I thought that was pretty awesome! So we just had to know the timetable of the train or bus and then we could go anywhere.
We hopped on a train to Ettlebruck and then caught a local bus the rest of the way to Vianden. The countryside of Luxembourg was gorgeous! I loved it!
We arrived in the town of Vianden! The town is located really close to the border of Germany.
To get to the castle located in Vianden, we had to hike a little bit.
On the way up to the castle!
Vianden was a charming little town!
I liked this doorway!
Vianden Castle!
We made it to the castle!
The main parts of Vianden Castle that survive today originate from the 12th and 13th century. Some parts being built in the 14th and 17th century. There’s a lot of history at the castle!
The castle was in a state of ruin by the 1820s but was restored to its former glory in the late 1970s.
I noticed when we were hiking up to the castle there was a trail that continued going upward. After we were done at the castle we walked a little further up the trail to get a different view of the town and the castle.
They had a chair lift also but it was not operating at that time. I must admit the height of the chair lift looked a little scary to me.
I had looked up places to eat near our hotel and this pizza and pasta place had good reviews so we decided to eat there.
The place was called Cheesy.
Overall this was a good day! I loved visiting Vianden castle and seeing the countryside of Luxembourg and Belgium.


























1 comment:
I just got the postcard from Vianden Castle today! Looks like a great time!
Post a Comment