Sunday, May 21, 2017

Iceland- Day 3 (Fjaðrárgljúfur Canyon, Svartifoss, Jökulsárlón Ice Lagoon)


Day 3 was a pretty dang awesome day! 
Fjaðrárgljúfur Canyon was our first stop of the day! Diana and I nicknamed this canyon the Lord of the Rings Canyon. It looked so Lord of the Ringsish and otherworldly. It was cool!

We didn't get to spend a lot of time here, but I tried to soak it all in in the time we did get here.




The sun was really bright! We were having a hard time keeping our eyes open for the picture. I think I might have gotten tears in my eyes. ;)

Look at that view!




On the way to our next stop, we drove past this view. We had to stop and take a picture.

Still at the same place from the picture above. I loved the glacier coming out from in between the two snow covered mountains.

On our way to our next destination!

After the Lord of the Rings canyon, our next stop was Svartifoss! It was about a 1.8 km hike to Svartifoss. There were some amazing views along the way. This was some random waterfall on the hike to Svartifoss!

Another view on our way!

Our first glimpse of Svartifoss!

And we made it! It was pretty dang awesome! Look at those rock formations and the rainbow too!






It was worth every step to those falls! We sat here for awhile and just soaked in the scenery and enjoyed the falls! It was a really nice day this day!



This was part of the view on our hike back to the car.

And another view! The hike was gorgeous, the falls were awesome, and the weather was amazing!

Our final stop of the day was Jökulsárlón Ice Lagoon! It was a bit foggy when we first got there, but it cleared up nicely by the time we took our boat ride.

Look at all of those ice chunks in the lagoon!





We took a boat ride on the ice lagoon to get closer to the glacier and it was seriously one of the coolest things ever!

We had to dress up in these heavy duty body coats to keep us warm out on the water.

Out on the boat! As we got closer to the glacier, it was like riding through an obstacle course as the driver had to swerve a lot to avoid hitting icebergs and big ice chunks. He was clearly a very experienced driver!

Glacier! From the shore to the glacier was about 7 km! It didn't seem that far when looking at it from shore, but once we got on the boat and started going, it took us a little while to get to the glacier.










We got decently close to the glacier, but we couldn't get too close. We went full speed out to the glacier and then the boat driver stopped and told us some interesting stuff about glaciers and volcanoes and other such things! Like how a volcano going off under a glacier is especially bad! I don't remember exact details, but you don't want to be near a volcano that is about go off under a glacier (or probably near any volcano about to go off.)


Back on shore after the boat ride! (Thanks for this and the next picture Diana!)

The boat we rode out to the glacier on.

As I said earlier this boat ride was seriously so cool and an unforgettable experience!

 The tour company we used to do the boat ride on the lagoon!


 Time to say goodbye to the ice lagoon!

As we were driving away from the ice lagoon we saw reindeer! What a way to end the awesome experience we just had, reindeer in front of the glacier.

After we got to our Airbnb for the night, I decided I wanted to explore the area a little more. So I went on a walk and I found this lovely trail along the water!

Overall this day was an awesome day! (Although I'm pretty sure I could say that about everyday in Iceland!)

1 comment:

R said...

Waterfalls, glaciers, rainbows, reindeer, boat rides, mountains, hikes and walks. It had to be fun. Amazing trip!