Monday, September 8, 2014

NYC- Tenement Museum, MoMA, Matilda

My younger brother, Tim, was in town. He was in Virginia for 4 days, then he took the bus up to NYC to spend the rest of his vacation, 4-1/2 days. I decided to meet him in NYC for 2 days and it was fun! 

 We took a tour at the Tenement Museum, which I highly recommend. There were many different tours to choose from and we decided on the Shop Life tour, which was fascinating. We got to see the saloon in the basement of a tenement house and the tiny apartment connected to it that a family ran and lived in as the tour guide told the story of the life of the family. Our tour guide was so good and I totally want to go back and take another tour.

Tim had a city pass and got discounted tickets to certain sites. The Museum of Modern Art was one of those places. We made our way there and I was pleased to see a sign for free admission tickets into the museum for that night. A company, UNIQLO was giving away tickets for free. This was us waiting in line for the tickets. For as long as the line was, it went pretty quickly.

Although I don't particularly like this picture of me, I liked the two men's expressions in the background looking at the camera.

The museum was pretty dang awesome! We got to see some Picasso. Night Fishing at Antibes.

Some Malevich. Although I don't know that I've seen this one before I kind of liked it, plus he was from Ukraine so that made it even cooler. :)


Some Monet. Not all of his paintings were this large, but this one, which is a very famous one, I did not realize was this large.


I thought this piece of art was fascinating. Read about it below.


And I was most excited to see this painting! Starry Night by Vincent Van Gogh. Isn't it beautiful?!

Seurat. You can read about it below.


I found this piece of art fascinating. That is a real taxidermied eagle.

We spent a couple of hours at the museum and enjoyed the beautiful and sometimes somewhat odd modern art, then we headed to a play for that night.

Matilda! It was awesome! It was funny and cute and magical and I really enjoyed it! Stay tuned for one more post about NYC. 

2 comments:

Lara said...

Looks like fun! I need to get back there soon!

Lara said...

Looks like fun! I need to get back there soon!