Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Charlottesville Ash Lawn- Highland!

After we visited UVA, we headed over to Monticello to see the home of Thomas Jefferson.  But it cost quite a bit and Tim and Heather did not want to go, so we went to Ash Lawn-Highland instead.  It was worth it.  I loved it!
Ash Lawn- Highland  was the home of James Monroe, the fifth president of the United States of America.  He owned over 500 acres.


Here's a beautiful tree on the grounds!  


Lane of Ash Lawn trees leading up to the house!  What post is complete without a self-portrait?!  :)

A cool shot from the estate!

The white house is part of the original house that Monroe lived in. 

A statue of the man himself :)  I learned a lot about James Monroe on our little tour. Our tour guide told us that the people of the U.S. loved Monroe as president and that he ran unopposed when he went for a second term.  There is a rumor that James Monroe won all of the electoral college votes except one when he ran for second term.  The reason he didn't get that one is because they wanted George Washington to be the only president to be voted unanimously into office so one person wrote in another person's name on the ballot so that it would not be unanimous. Historians are not sure if it's true, but isn't it a cool story?!  He must have been a good man. 


 Another self-portrait! Monroe's sticking out of Tim's head ;)

Monroe was friends with Thomas Jefferson and James Madison.  I believe,  if I remember correctly, that Monroe bought land and built a house in Charlottesville because Jefferson did.  Monroe lived about a 20-minute horse back ride from Monticello, where Jefferson lived.  And James Madison did not live too far from them either.



A cool shot H took looking down the lane of trees to the new addition to the house.


H and I where Tim took the shot!


Look at the view they had from their estate!  It's beautiful! 


I don't know why, but I like this picture!



A cool shot with the well and the servants quarters in the background! 

Isn't this place beautiful?!  

I loved our trip to Charlottesville!  Thank you H and Tim for coming with me! I enjoyed every minute. 

After Ash Lawn-Highland, we headed home on the scenic route 29.  What a beautiful day! 


4 comments:

Lara said...

I love the scenery around Charlottesville! Your post makes me want to take the family there again. It's been a while.

Aitch said...

That was a fun day! Thanks for going along with me AL.

mom said...

I am glad you enjoyed your trip. I agree that Charlottesville is very beautiful. We went to Monticello and loved it. They had an old fashion garden, growing the flowers and vegetables that Jefferson grew-sweet peas included.

K said...

I love Charlottesville. I think I could totally live there if given the opportunity. (o: