Yesterday, Karyn, Liz, Kailey and I were invited to a student's house for a BBQ. What was the BBQ for, you ask?! Well it was for Moon Festival! Today is actually Moon Festival, but I think they kind of celebrate it the whole week. Moon Festival is celebrating the full moon tonight, which is also the first day of fall!

Karyn and I got to their house at around 4 PM and we did not leave until 11:30 PM. When we first got there we played Wii Fit and an intense game of tic-tac-toe on this big wooden board and where you have to get 5 in a row and Blokus! Some of the kids were playing a cooking game on the Wii.

Danny is on the left and Tim is on the right! They're brothers. Tim is one of my students in my 2A class! I wrote a little about him
here. Their family is good friends with the family whose house we had the BBQ at.

This is Mimi! She is in Basic Reading. She is not actually my student. She is Karyn's student, but we were at her house for this BBQ! She's a little quiet, but so cute!

This is Ivy. She also is Karyn's student in 4A. She is Mimi's sister! They have the cutest family! Their parents are so kind and generous!

This is our indoor BBQ! They totally cooked all of the meat on this mini-stove/grill in the living room! I know you want to know what kind of meat they had... well they had shrimp, pork sausage, squid balls, rice sausage (literally rice in a casing like sausage), pork wrapped in lettuce, some sort of fish... and I think that might have been all (at least in the meat department.)
But it was funny because they would cook them and each time they would get finished with one, they would hand Karyn and I a piece of it to eat. And yes I did try all of them. I may not have eaten all of it (particularly the squid ball), but I did try all of them ;)

We had corn and shrimp and mushroom & vegetable soup and nectarines and chips (but they weren't just regular chips. They were chips with the texture of cinnamon toast crunch, but a peppery and a little spicy taste:) and all of the meat. There was so much food and we ate a lot! (It's hard to resist sometimes when they offer it to you rather than you just trying what you want.)
Kailey and Liz came later in the evening. They had classes later than Karyn and I did, so they came at around 7:30 PM.

After we ate and were stuffed to the gills, we went outside and played with sparklers and fireworks! It was so much fun!

Liz, me and Karyn with our sparklers!

Sparkler!

A little firework/sparkler!
Overall the BBQ was lovely! We really were immersed in the Taiwanese culture yesterday! They love parties with their family and friends on the holidays! They do BBQ s inside because most people do not have yards. They eat exotic foods (at least to us, they're exotic). They like to play Wii and card games. And they love fireworks and sparklers! Although the Taiwanese people have a different culture, they like the same things we do!
I will write more at a later time about our day today and about the Moon Festival!
2 comments:
Sounds like good eating, especially the squid ball. It would be hard to try all that stuff. Hopefully, they let you try little bites instead of big pieces.
Glad you had fun for moon festival. Tim and I have been walking at night under the full moon and appreciating the light from it.
It sounds like you ate more exotic food in one night than all the rest of the family put together. It is hard to imagine one of our children eating squid or shrimp or fish of any kind...WOW!!
What a wonderful spread they put on for their American teachers and such a neat family. Their children are so cute.
You are so blessed to have this opportunity to really bond with the Taiwanese people.
Thank you for sharing this amazing cultural experience.
Post a Comment